Johan Kriek was born in Pongola, South Africa and became a U.S. citizen in 1982. Kriek has reached the quarterfinals or better in all four Grand Slams, winning the Australian Open titles in 1981 and 1982. He was twice the quarterfinalist and once the semi-finalist at the US Open, reached the semi-finals at the French Open, the quarterfinals of Wimbledon and after winning the Australian Open twice he also reached another semi-final at the Australian Open. Kriek has reached the quarterfinals in four consecutive Masters tournaments from January 1983 to January 1986. He also qualified for the WCT Masters tournament in Dallas, TX four years in the row reaching the final once.
He has won 14 professional singles and 8 doubles titles, reaching an all-time high ranking of number 7 in singles and number 12 in doubles in the world. Kriek’s most memorable wins include victories over Andre Agassi, Guillermo Vilas, Stefan Edberg, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, and Bjorn Borg. From 1993 to 2000 Kriek played on the Champions Senior Tour with Connors, Borg, McEnroe and others reaching the number 1 senior tour world ranking in both singles and doubles. Kriek and his doubles partner Kevin Curren have won the Wimbledon Senior Doubles title four times in a row from 2003-2006.
- Born in South Africa; lived and coached in Austria from 1975-1978; moved to Naples, Florida 1978; currently resides in Charlotte, NC.
- Speaks English, Afrikaans, German and Zulu.
- Played on the worldwide ATP tennis tour from 1977-1989
- Reached a career high of No. 7 in the world
- Two-time Australian Open champion, 1981 & 1982
- The only South African to hold a Grand Slam singles title
- U.S. National Indoor Champion (Memphis) in 1982 over John McEnroe
- Reached quarter-final round or better in each of the four Grand Slams
- Holds 14 singles titles and eight doubles titles
- One of the Senior Men’s Tour founding players in 1993
- Ranked No. 1 in both singles and doubles, 1993 and 2000
- Ranked No. 1 doubles player for five years
- Wimbledon over 45 doubles champion, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006
- U.S. Open over 45 doubles champion, 2004, 2005
- U.S. Open Senior mixed doubles finalist, 2003
- Won the U.S. Open Senior Men’s Doubles Championship w/ John Lloyd
- Holds 12 Senior Tournament Titles
Kriek has kept his momentum. He played the men’s over 35 tour with Connors, Borg and McEnroe. For 10 years he was ranked number one in both singles and doubles winning a total of fifteen tournaments. His most recent titles were won with his partner Kevin Curren winning Wimbledon’s over 45 doubles 4 years in a row.
COACHING AND DEVELOPMENT
Kriek’s coaching career began before becoming a professional tennis player teaching European juniors to earn money for tournaments. He has been coaching for several years and is known for his unique teaching style. His tremendous tennis knowledge, sense of humor, and approachable personality make him a coach kids love to be around and respect. He is probably the highest ranked professional player that is “on court” and is dedicated to the coaching and development of his students. Kriek, coming from outside the U.S. is keenly aware of cultural issues and psychological barriers many international students face. What Kriek brings to the Johan Kriek Tennis Academy is more than teaching technique; it is a winning attitude, a sense of trust and security gained from mentors, keen insight into releasing a player’s individuality.
Kriek’s kindness and spirit also extends to the community. He is co-founder of the Global Water Foundation which provides clean drinking water to third world countries: www.globalwaterfoundation.org. Generous and giving, he has donated his time to many charities around the world helping to raise millions of dollars with fellow professionals.